MCD participants to lobby on bills related to criminal justice, hate crimes, voting rights, and immigrants’ rights on the agenda of the State Legislature.
(PHILADELPHIA, PA, 10/24/2022) – On Tuesday, Oct. 25, Pennsylvania’s Muslim community, along with the Pennsylvania chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-Pennsylvania) and Emgage Pennsylvania, will participate in the Fifth Annual Muslim Capitol Day (MCD) at the State Capitol Building in Harrisburg.
More than 100 MCD participants will visit the offices of their elected state senators and representatives. During these meetings, the participants will advocate for the needs of American Muslims residing in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and lobby in support of bills that address criminal justice, hate crimes, voting rights, and immigrants’ rights that are on the agenda of the State Legislature.
The high point of this day of legislative advocacy will be a press conference and rally on the steps of the Capitol Rotunda from 1:30 pm to 2 pm, with speakers from the community and state legislature.
WHAT: 5th Annual Muslim Capitol Day
WHEN: Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2022, 10 am – 2:30 pm
WHERE: Harrisburg Capitol Building
PRESS CONFERENCE AND RALLY: Capitol Rotunda Steps, 1:30 – 2:00 PM
MORE INFORMATION: pa.cair.com/mcd
- 1:30pm – Welcome Remarks by Salima Suswell, Executive Director of Emgage PA
- 1:33pm – Remarks by Ahmet Tekelioglu, Executive Director of CAIR-Philadelphia
- 1:35pm – Remarks by elected leaders
- 1:45pm – Remarks by students
- 1:55pm – Closing remarks by Salima Suswell
The goals of Muslim Capitol Day are:
- To raise the awareness of elected officials about Islamophobia stemming from certain politicians and media outlets.
- To encourage and increase the participation of American Muslims in the democratic political process.
- To work together with other groups and communities in building of a more equitable society, regardless of ethnicity, religion, gender, or racial background.
Muslim Capitol Day’s 2022 Legislative Agenda includes:
- SUPPORT Seeking support for a resolution recognizing Pennsylvania Muslim American Awareness and Appreciation Month
- SUPPORT Senate Bill 63: Provisions Against Hate-Based Intimidation
- SUPPORT Senate Bill 710: Community Impact Statements and Education in Hate Crimes
- SUPPORT Senate Bill 711: Educating Police Officers on Hate-based Intimidation
- SUPPORT House Bill 279: Drivers Licenses for All Pennsylvanians- Drive PA Forward
- SUPPORT House Bill 1576: Tuition Equity in Pennsylvania
- SUPPORT House Bill 1951: Understanding Intergenerational Poverty
- OPPOSE House Bill 1587: Re-introducing Mandatory Minimums
- OPPOSE House Bill 2163: Out of County Poll Watchers
CAIR’s mission is to protect civil rights, enhance understanding of Islam, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
– END –
CONTACT: CAIR-Philadelphia Executive Director Ahmet Selim Tekelioglu (email@example.com; 617-401-5397) and EMGAGE-Pennsylvania Executive Director Salima Suswell (firstname.lastname@example.org; 215-760-0558)