(PHILADELPHIA, Pa, 10/15/21) – CAIR-Philadelphia joins the #BoycottHilton Coalition* of more than 40 American and international organizations, with an educational leafleting campaign on Saturday, Oct. 16, outside Hilton Worldwide hotels in Philadelphia and Allentown over that corporation’s licensed construction of a Hampton Hotel on the site of a bulldozed mosque in the Uyghur region of China.
[NOTE: Earlier today, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) condemned a decision by Apple to take down a Bible app and one of the world’s most popular Quran apps in China after Communist Party officials declared that the religious texts contain “illegal content.”]
What: Educational Leafletting Campaign #BoycottHilton Campaign
When: 3:00 pm, Saturday, October 16, 2021
- Philadelphia Location: Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City – 1100 Arch Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Allentown Location: Hilton Garden Inn Allentown Bethlehem Airport | 1787-B Airport Road, Allentown, PA
At the events, educational materials about the construction of the hotel on the site of a bulldozed mosque and about China’s acts of torture, rape, forced abortions and sterilizations, mass detention, denial of religious rights, and cultural erasure targeting Uyghur Muslims will be handed to Hilton guests and staff.
Individuals are being encouraged to join the campaign. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
TAKE ACTION: Demand Hilton Hotels to Drop China Project on Site of Bulldozed, Desecrated Uyghur Mosque
The #BoycottHilton coalition has called on Hilton Worldwide to drop a licensing agreement to build a Hampton Hotel on the site of the bulldozed mosque in the city of Hotan, China, but company officials have not responded to that demand.
The Telegraph revealed plans for the project in June.
Also in June, Amnesty International released a report describing China’s abuse of its Uyghur Muslim minority as a “dystopian hellscape.”
On September 8, the coalition delivered a letter to Hilton headquarters in Virginia giving the corporation one week to end the agreement to license the construction of a Hampton Hotel on the site of a bulldozed mosque in the Uyghur region of China or face a global boycott.
On September 16, the coalition held a news conference outside The Capital Hilton in Washington, D.C., to announce a worldwide boycott of Hilton Worldwide.
The #BoycottHilton campaign recently called on the UN Global Compact to begin the process of removing Hilton Worldwide (NYSE: HLT) as a participant over that corporation’s violations of its principles by entering into the agreement – one that it could terminate – to license the construction of the Hampton Hotel on the site of the bulldozed mosque in the Uyghur region of China.
In addition, the coalition launched a Change.org petition drive asking signatories to take a pledge “to join the global boycott of ALL Hilton-owned hotels until the company cancels its plan to establish a hotel on the site of a bulldozed Uyghur mosque in China.”
GO TO: change.org/BoycottHilton
In July, CAIR applauded the chairs of the bipartisan and bicameral Congressional-Executive Commission on China calling on Hilton Worldwide President and CEO Christopher Nassetta to cancel the agreement to license the construction. CAIR also welcomed the Senate passage of the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act.
*Organizations in the #BoycottHilton Coalition include:
- Uyghur Human Rights Project
- World Uyghur Congress
- Campaign for Uyghurs
- Free Uyghur Now
- Justice for All
- Belgium Uyghur Association (Belgium)
- ChinaAid Association
- Citizen Power Initiatives for China
- Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
- The International Campaign for Tibet
- Justice and Liberties for All Committee (France)
- Muslim Council of Britain (England)
- No Business With Genocide
- Türkiye Dernekler Federasyonu / Federation of Associations of Turkey
- U.S. Council of Muslim Organizations (USCMO)
- American Muslim Alliance (AMA)
- American Muslim for Palestine (AMP)
- Baitulmaal for Relief and Development
- Burmese Rohingya Association of North America (BRANA)
- Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago (CIOGC)
- Dar Alhijrah Islamic Center
- Downtown Islamic Center – Chicago (DIC)
- Helping Hand for Relief and Development (HHRD)
- International Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT)
- Islamic Association of North America (IANA)
- Islamic Center of Chicago Western Suburbs (ICW)
- Islamic Center of Detroit (ICD)
- Islamic Community Center of Illinois (ICCI)
- Islamic Center of Naperville (ICN)
- Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA)
- Islamic Leadership Council of New York
- Islamic Shura Council of Southern California (ISCSC)
- Mercy Without Limits (MWL)
- Mosque Foundation (MF)
- The Mosque Cares (Ministry of Imam W. D. Mohammed)
- Muslim American Society (MAS)
- Muslim Legal Fund of America (MLFA)
- Muslim Ummah of North America (MUNA)
- Muslim Forum of the Pacific Northwest (MFPNW)
- New York Majlis Ashura
- North America Imams Federation (NAIF)
- Together We Serve (TWS)
- United Muslim Relief (UMR)
- United Hands Relief (UHR)