(PHILADELPHIA, PA, 10/10/05) – CAIR-Philly today called on American Muslims and other people of conscience in the Delaware Valley to help the victims of Saturday’s massive earthquake in South Asia.
The Philadelphia chapter of the Islamic civil rights and advocacy group asked those wishing to offer earthquake relief to contact local organizations set up to help alleviate the suffering caused by Saturday’s earthquake.
The American Muslim Society of the Tristate Area, The Foundation for Islamic Education, the Islamic Society of Greater Valley Forge, and the Muslim Society of Delaware Valley are collecting funds to offer aid to areas of Pakistan, Afghanistan and India devastated by the 7.6-magnitude earthquake that left at least 30,000 people dead.
CAIR-Philly urged Americans of all faiths to pray for those killed, injured or left homeless by the earthquake.
“Just as Americans came together to help the victims of recent Gulf Coast hurricanes, we must do whatever we can to help those suffering from natural disasters in other parts of the world,” said CAIR-Philly Communications Director Adeeba Al-Zaman. “We also urge mosques throughout the Delaware Valley to help raise relief funds during congregational prayers this week.”
Please include full name and mailing address when sending donations, and specify ‘earthquake aid’ in the memo section of the check. (tax receipts will be issued for all donations.) Checks may be sent to:
1. The American Muslim Society of the Tristate Area: 1860 Montgomery Ave; Villanova, PA 19085, Contact: Iftekhar Hussain, 267-515-6710
2. The Foundation for Islamic Education: 1860 Montgomery Ave; Villanova, PA 19085; Contact: 610-520-9624
3. Islamic Society of Greater Valley Forge: 958 Valley Forge Rd; Devon, PA 19333; Contact: Mohammad Aziz, 610-246-4813
4. Muslim Society of Delaware Valley: 2209 N Front Street; Philadelphia, PA 19133; Contact: Ijaz Chaudhry, 215-272-8320
1. Contribute funds to local Muslim organizations set up to offer aid to quake victims.
2. Contribute in any way you can. Monetary contributions are best, but you can also donate supplies or volunteer your time.
3. Pray for the victims.
– END –