NOTICE: EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED
NEW DATE: FEBRUARY 6, 2016
Check back for more details or follow Facebook event page.
CAIR-Philadelphia is pleased to announce its first symposium:
Muslim Women in Sacred Spaces: Reviving the Prophet’s Forgotten Sunnah
We know you understand the importance of fostering an inclusive environment, especially for our sisters and youth. This symposium will bring local and national scholars under one roof to discuss how mosques can serve the needs of its members by becoming more family-friendly.
The discussion will center around the Sunnah of our Prophet (PBUH) regarding his inclusion of women within sacred spaces. Many sisters today feel excluded and neglected by their mosques and we must address these causes. It is imperative that we work together to build a sense of community for each member of this Ummah. Our goal is to conclude the symposium with your recommendations and resolutions for creating a more inclusive atmosphere.
Date: February 6, 2016
Time: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Location: Villanova University, Driscoll Hall Auditorium 800 Lancaster Ave. Villanova, PA 19085 (map)
Symposium Schedule & Information
9:00 – 9:30 AM
Registration and Networking
9:30 AM – 12:45 PM
Session I: Conversation with Seminar Speakers
12:45 – 1:45 PM
Dhuhr Prayer and Lunch
1:45 – 2:45 PM
Session IIA: Facilitated Break-Out Session
2:45 – 3:45 PM
Session IIB: Read-out by groups to all participants
3:45 – 4:00 PM
Speakers & Presenters
- Dr. Jonathan Brown – Director of the Alwaleed bin Talal Center for Muslim Christian Understanding, Georgetown University
- Dr. Sarah Sayeed – Project Facilitator, Women in Islam, Inc. & Member, ISNA Masjid Development Committee
- Dr. Mustafa Ahmed – Director of the Foundation of Islamic Education in Villanova, PA
- Donna Auston – Doctoral Candidate in the Department of Anthropology at Rutgers University
- Iman Sultan – Student of Political Science and Journalism at Temple University
Master of Ceremonies: Sofia Ali-Khan, Esq.