CAIR-Philadelphia staff will be attending a retreat on October 5, 2023. Calls and emails will be returned on October 6, 2023.
Presenter: Iftekhar Hussain
This 10-part course approaches Islam from a historical and scriptural perspective, covering the foundations of the religion and then building on the economic, political and cultural institutions that arose in Muslim societies. It covers the Golden Age of Muslim civilization and then discusses its decline. In addition to an examination of source texts, contemporary issues faced by Muslims and Muslim societies will be covered. This course has been taught at over two dozen venues in the greater Delaware Valley area and is offered regularly.
Introductory material for the course is now available online. Download a PDF file explaining the basic teachings of Islam: Islam 100: Fundamental Teachings of Islam (pdf)
- Week 1 – Foundations of Islamic Belief and Practice
- Week 2 – Foundations of Islamic Belief and Practice (cont’d)
- Week 3 – Jesus in the Qur’an
- Week 4 – Muhammad, the Early Years and Emerging Community
- Week 5 – Muhammad, the Early Years and Emerging Community (cont’d)
- Week 6 – Gender and Islam
- Week 7 – Gender and Islam (cont’d)
- Week 8 – The Golden Age
- Week 9 – Decline and the Birth of Islamic Reform Movements
- Week 10 – US Involvement in the Muslim World