November 22, 2013
- Day of Dignity in Philadelphia
October 28, 2013
- Press Conference and Solidarity Vigil at Islamic Society of Delaware
August 14, 2013
- Muslim Youth Leadership Program at Zubaida Foundation
July 28, 2013
- On Sunday, July 28 the Sharing Ramadan program continued at the Foundation for Islamic Education in Villanova, PA. Dr. Mustafa Ahmed, the director of the Foundation, hosted visitors from Saint Luke’s United Methodist Church of Bryn Mawr and the Central Baptist Church of Wayne. Reverend David Tatgenhorst from United Methodist attended with several members of his congregation. Arriving shortly before sunset, they observed Maghrib prayer in the main hall and then walked down to the gym for dinner. During dinner, Reverend Tatgenhorst and the others had a wide ranging and engaging conversation with Dr. Ahmed right up till Isha time. Gwenyth Lewis from the Central Baptist Church of Wayne joined us, with Marisol Rojas of Cuba who was visiting the US to attend a Peace and Fellowship conference. During our lively chat we talked about ritual specifics of Ramadan as well as the intent and meaning of the month for Muslims. Marisol shared details about life in Cuba, providing new insight to a land largely closed to Americans.
June 1, 2013
- MYLP “War Within Our Hearts” Workshop at Zubaida Foundation
May 19, 2013
- MYLP Anti-Bullying Workshop at Islamic Society of Delaware
May 10, 2013
- MYLP Anti-Bullying Workshop at Islamic Society of Greater Harrisburg
April 12, 2013
- CAIR-Philadelphia legal director Amara Chaudhry served as course planner for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s continuing legal education course, How to Litigate a School Bullying Case. This training, which Amara began planning almost a year ago, was CAIR-Philadelphia’s latest effort to bring the issue of school bullying in the forefront of the legal community. Unfortunately, too few lawyers and litigators consider school bullying to be a “legal issue,” and far too few are unaware of the multitude of legal remedies available. Amara’s CLE focused upon using lawyering skills to advocate for children who have been bullied. The three legal strategies discussed during the CLE included (1) state anti-bullying laws, (2) local, state, and federal anti-discrimination laws, and criminal and delinquency laws.
March 30, 2013
- A New Conversation on Race and Ethnicity (NewCORE) in partnership with CAIR-Philadelphia and the Islamic Cultural Preservation and Information Council (ICPIC) sponsored a screening of CAIR-Philadelphia’s 24-minute documentary, Brown Skin, Funny Names. Community members gathered at New Africa Center in West Philadelphia and engaged in a meaningful conversation on Pennsylvania House Bill 2029 in the larger context of racially motivated laws and policies in America, while discussing the impact of those policies on American Muslim communities.
March 16, 2013
- CAIR-Philadelphia Seventh Annual Banquet
February 23, 2013
- Meet & Greet Event in Delaware
February 15, 2013
- Civil Rights Director and Staff Attorney Amara Chaudhry was a panelist at Washington and Lee University School of Law 2013 symposium, Discrimination Against Muslim Americans in a Post-9/11 World. Amara shared her expertise in challenging “anti-Shariah” legislation in Pennsylvania and nationwide, anti-Muslim profiling by the NYPD throughout the northeastern United States, security clearance denials of federal employees related to their identity as American Muslims, the official non-engagement policy of the FBI against Muslim organizations nationwide, anti-Muslim discrimination by state and federal prisons, and anti-Muslim discrimination by private employers.
January 24, 2013
- Staff and an Executive Committee member participated in an event to launch the new phase of the Muslim Voices Project of Philadelphia. Muslim Voices is a community media project of Scribe Video Center that provides opportunities for interested Muslim community groups to document histories and contributions of Muslims in the Philadelphia area. Our Executive Committee member, Carlin Saafir, spoke about the importance of preserving history and supporting programs that facilitate a way for Muslims to tell their own stories.
January 19, 2013
- CAIR-Philadelphia Staff Attorney and Executive Committee member conducted a presentation at the Muslim Association of Lehigh Valley. The presentation covered CAIR-Philadelphia’s mission, programs and campaigns. About 100 community members from all over Lehigh Valley attended.
January 5, 2013
- Outreach and Communications Director was involved in a roundtable conversation discussing “Heschel and King in the Context of Interfaith and Multiethnic Collaborations” at Mishkan Shalom Synagogue. The panel was among several “break-out” sessions included in the 2-day festival. Over 50 individuals from different faiths and backgrounds attended. This led to a rich dialogue about interfaith and ethnic experiences in America.