May 25, 2016
- Jacob Bender on panel “Voices of Reason: A Symposium on Tolerance and Intolerance” at Pearl S. Buck International
May 21, 2016
- Jacob Bender on “A Jew in the Muslim World” at Germantown Friends Center
May 20, 2016
- Out of Cordoba Screening in New Jersey at Voorhees Mosque, NJ
May 19, 2016
- Jacob Bender on panel – “Muslims in the Media” at PhillyCAM
April 30, 2016
- First Annual Meet A Muslim American (MAMA) Event
Held in York, PA on April 30, 2016 at the YWCA’s Race Against Racism (RAR). This event sought to humanize Muslim-Americans and provide attendees with the opportunity to meet a Muslim face-to-face in an effort to promote dialogue and understanding. By providing free food and drinks to the over 1,000 participants at this year’s race, we not only debunked negative stereotypes about Islam and Muslims, but we also enforced positive ones. One mother approached us and remarked that our presence at the event encouraged her young daughter to ask, “What are Muslims?” She admitted that it was a conversation she hadn’t thought of having with her children until that day. Most kids were grateful for the free snacks and drinks, while many adults commended us for our courage to stand up against the hatred and bigotry prevalent in our nation.
April 19, 2016
- Out of Cordoba Documentary Screening (Bucks County Community College, Newtown, PA)
April 16, 2016
- CAIR-Philadelphia Presentation at MIST Philly (LaSalle University)
Saturdays starting April 2
- 10-Part Understanding Islam Course at Zubaida Foundation
March 29, 2016
- Out of Cordoba Documentary Screening (Pennswood Village, Newtown PA)
March 26, 2016
- MYLP at Al-Aqsa School
March 20, 2016
- Anti-Bullying Presentation (Norristown Islamic Center)
March 12, 2016
- CAIR-Philadelphia 10th Anniversary Banquet
February 28, 2016
- CAIR-Philadelphia was invited by the Church of the Apostles of Lancaster and the Islamic Community Center of Lancaster (ICCL) to participate in a series called “Who is My Neighbor?” The series is inspired by the The Parable of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:25-37 which is paralleled for Muslims in the 13th Hadith of Imam Nawawi’s compilation of 40 Hadiths. The event concluded with a Q&A session fielded by CAIR-Philadelphia. The session included questions about salat, the Quran, and ranged to include Islamic history and current geopolitical topics.
February 25, 2016
- The Diversity Committee at Penn State – York, hosted a lecture entitled “What Muslims think of ISIS” on February 25. The nearly 2 hour event began with lunch, followed by the talk, and concluded with a Q&A session. CAIR-Philadelphia’s presentation focused on the basic tenants of Islam, Common Abrahamic Values and concluded with the response of Muslim Americans and Muslim American Organizations to acts of extremism.
February 14, 2016
- A Jew in the Muslim World – Jacob Bender spoke to the Ethical Humanist Society of Philadelphia Sunday Platform about his decades-long involvement in the Muslim World, and his work as the Executive Director of CAIR-Philadelphia.
February 6, 2016
- Muslim Women in Sacred Spaces: Reviving the Prophet’s Forgotten Sunnah